Thursday, February 3, 2011

Paper Dreams


I write this still basking in the glow of last night's book launch.

Surreal was the word of the night. I don't think any of us were expecting such a lovely reception, nor the way it felt to be on the other side of the table. I still can't believe that I signed my books for people and that they actually want to read them. It is truly an astonishing thing to see the work you toiled so long over in people's hands, a real and tangible object.


I don't feel pride. I don't feel pure happiness. What overtakes me when I look at the photos and my own little collection of my friends' books is gratefulness. I am grateful to have been able to attend classes at a wonderful university. I am grateful for the professors and mentors who both inspired us and kicked our asses when they needed kicking. I am grateful for friends who have shaped new dimensions and perspectives in my life. I am grateful for a family that loves me enough to understand my need for creativity and art. I am grateful for the courage that keeps me writing.

I don't plan on letting this one happy night draw me into complacency. If anything, I am more determined to prove that I am worth the fuss. I will prove that my voice is worth hearing and I will love my craft.


--

7 days to the thesis presentation.

18 days to final exams.

58 days to my flight back to Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment