Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Habitual Hazard

The lovely Marissa Meyer blogged about her writing/revision habits and I thought it'd be interesting to consider some of mine.

Clothing
- I don't usually wear special~ things when I write, but I do prefer being in pajamas. There's something comforting about the feel of worn old PJs that helps me remember to just write and not think about the implications or the results too much.

- I usually write at home, so I'm almost always in ratty t-shirts and shorts.

- When I go out to cafes, I prefer jeans and t-shirts and my favorite blue Chucks.

Food and Drink

- I like having at least one piece of chocolate around my desk for when I get stressed out.

- There are these amazing soft breadsticks that I found at the grocery store and I'm completely addicted to them. I feel like I'm going to go through withdrawal symptoms when I move to Canada, I love them that much.

- I usually drink water (no coffee unless it's a Starbucks light mocha frappuccino), but when deadlines come around, you'll find that I drink at least one Sprite a day. I KNOW, I KNOW, it's a horrible habit. But it calms me down more than any other drink.

Location

- I mostly write at home, at my study desk. I used to write on my bed (well okay, last year, my desk was connected to my bed so I was always there), but lately, the temptation to sleep is overwhelmingly strong so I don't do that anymore.

- Living along Katipunan Avenue is great, because there are a bunch of cafes where I can hang out and write in. I prefer the smaller Starbucks next to the grocery store because there are less people that I know (well okay, this USED to be the case) and it's quieter. When I need internet for research, I go to either Kenny Roger's/Seattle's Best Coffee or this new place called Eat! that not many people know about.

Miscellaneous

- I tend to have playlists for every story I'm writing. They help get me in the mood to write, and inspire the rest of the piece. For example, the YA novel I'm working on now, The M&M Conundrum is written to this playlist:

Nerdfighterlike- Hank Green and Katherine Green
So Nice, So Smart - Kimya Dawson
Paper Cuts - Boy Least Likely To
Hey Molly - Mike Lombardo
Tech Romance - Her Space Holiday
Good Weekend - Art Brut
Computer Camp Love - Datarock
Chemical Love - Charlie McDonnell
The NaNoWriMo Song - ALL CAPS
Here Comes My Baby - Sons of Admirals
More Than Alive - ALL CAPS
WWW Girl - Kristina Horner
Do You Like Me - ALL CAPS
Strange Charm - Hank Green
Science vs. Romance - Rilo Kiley
She Blinded Me with Science - Thomas Dolby
For You To Notice - Dashboard Confessional
Falling for the First Time - Barenaked Ladies
Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches
Indigo - Tom Milsom
If You Wanna...I Might - hellogoodbye
Nerdfighteria Island - Hank Green
Play Three Again - Backseat Goodbye

- I can't write for more than an hour straight. I always have to get up in the middle of it and take a walk or read or dance.

- I have this awful habit of pulling on my hair when I'm stressed out. It's pretty long now (almost halfway down my back) so I end up playing with it a lot.


So those are my writing habits--what are some of yours?

--

There are only 3 weeks left in the semester. I gave myself a paper cut yesterday printing out various essays I had to write for one class. I feel like this is an accurate metaphor for my life right now. Also, this gif:

1 comment:

  1. That playlist is AWESOME.
    And now I'm gonna go do this same type of post because it's AWESOME.

    AWESOME NEEDS TO BE IN ALL CAPS OKAY.

    ReplyDelete